Thursday, July 10, 2008

South African Slang

It feels like it's been awhile since I last posted, so I thought I'd give you a really interesting funny post. Not that my other ones aren't... but this one is a special comparison between America and South Africa.

Since I've been in the States I've been asked a number of times "What are some of the slang words you use in South Africa?" For those of you living in South Africa you would quickly be able to answer that, because you use the words everyday. BUT for me when I'm alone and someone asks, I can't think of any! The ones that I do managed to stumble out my mouth are literally impossible to explain.
For those Americans who have asked and not got a answer here are a bunch.
For the South Africans, be proud of your slang, it totally rocks.

Ag man!- This is used when you frustrated or dissappointed in something. The translation would be Oh man.

Aweh!- No English translation, but the closest thing would be Oh Yeah.

Bokkie- Refering to someone you love, like sweetheart.

Bru- Like bro, a male friend.

Dinges- Something, whatchamacallit, thingymabob.

Dof- Stupid

Dorpie- Small Town, we live in a very very very small dorpie now!

Eina!- Ouch

Ja. - Yes

Laaitie- A younger person

Mielie- Corn

Moegoe- This is referred to alot by my family as no one knows what it means here. Someone who is being stupid, irritating, coward or weakling.

Naartjie- Tangerine, also another name for moegoe.

Skrik- to get a fright

Vrot- rotten, like a fruit.

Lekker- This is one of my favourite/favorite. It can be used in many places.
  • This food is lekker.
  • The weather is lekker.
  • That's a lekker blog.
  • That was a lekker game.
  • I'm lekker full.
  • Rugby is lekker.

I think you get the drift.

Braai- a real barbeque

For more South African slang click here. Most of these words are Afrikaans which is one of South Africas official languages. We have 11! Some others are from Xhosa, and yes this is the language with the click.

If you still in SA and can think of some that I haven't mentioned, please feel free to let me know in the comments. I need to be reminded. Also you can sign-up to receive notices of when I make a post.

Cheers, have a awesome day!
Jonathan

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny how you can really see the Dutch influence in the Africaans. About half of those words were obviously Netherlandic. Fascinating

Dreaming

If we don't keep considering our dream it will stay a dream or worse, it will become a nightmare.

A Father's Voice