Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Story Behind It All

It's been quite awhile since I have given an update on whats happening in the Smit world, that's partially because I don't even know what's happening in the Smit world.

As I'm sure you are well aware by now, we are leaving the USA. Our plan was to leave and go to England. Unfortunately things have taken time to get done and we were not able to get there as soon as we would have liked. However, that is still our destination at the moment.
I am applying for a working-holiday, which allows me to work for 12 months in Uk and vacation for 12 months (like I need that right now). After that I am not sure so don't even ask! The rest of my family are going on a Ancestry Visa with intention to reside. Me, being the big boy I am, can't go as a dependent anymore which is the reason for the different visas.

If you have read my recent article on Chiropractic you may have picked up that I have a keen interest in it. Over the past few weeks I have been researching different ways of getting into college in USA. I did manage to find a Chiropractic college in Atlanta that I would be accepted into. However, finances is the biggest problem. Of all around the world, USA is by far the most expensive country to study.

I need to show 36,000 smackers just for the first year. And that's $$$ for those in South Africa. Most people take a loan for their college, but I can't as I am not an American. At least not on paper ;-)

There are partial scholarships, but I need to be accepted before I apply, whew! what a "situation".

This was all a sudden thing as I never thought about it. But it grew on me rather quickly. If I attended Life University in Atlanta, I could graduate in 4.5 years as a Doctor of Chiropractic. Thats DR. John to you!!! I could do my undergraduate (B.S) in exactly the field I want. This all worked on me wanted to go for it. That and the $45 a session. Sounds good. The average Chiropractor makes $70,000 a year.

Along with this I have been trying to find a scholarship (full) for a Christian Uni, but no great luck so far. I'm not sure how everyone else in the world does it, but this is really a tough process. If all else fails I might just make this my job. Help others find a college.

So currently my plan (not very good one) is to go to England for at least 1 year and work part-time, just to be busy if anything. Oh, and make some pounds. Yippidooodah.

But who knows what could open up before or after then.

So here is the breakdown.

  • Go to Life University.(usa)
  • Go to Christian College. (usa)
  • Work England for 2 years (Eng)
  • Go back to Sa (Nooo..)
Mmm and thats pretty much it so far. Or maybe a combination. But that's for another day.
I hope that you find this updating. If not, then it was just good for me to write it down. Now I can get it out my head.

Have a lekker awesomess day folks.
Cheers Jono

0 comments:

Dreaming

If we don't keep considering our dream it will stay a dream or worse, it will become a nightmare.

A Father's Voice