Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Whats Xenophobia?

I spoke to a friend on skype today and learned some interesting news of what's happening in South Africa. He mentioned the word "Xenophobia", what on earth is that? Some disease or outbreak? I had seen the word before in the news recently, but thought nothing of it, probably because it sounded to big. It is actually a phobia (fear) or contempt of that which is foreign or unknown, especially of strangers or foreign people. The term is typically used to describe a fear or dislike of foreigners or of people significantly different from oneself.

In South Africa's case it is the black South Africans not liking or fearing the blacks from other countries coming into South Africa illegally. In recent years, 2-4 million Zimbabweans have come into SA, this is a quarter of Zimbabwe's population. This is probably the result of Mugabe's(president of Zim) work in the country. I would probably want to run away from my country as well (look at me talking, sitting in America)! BUT I didn't run away from my country and I am legal, just to justify my case.

There has been several of these attacks in the poorer parts of Johannesburg, resulting in death. I'm pretty sure its in the squatter camps. I'm not taking sides on either one of theses, but if I had view the mindset of each group of people, I can understand where they coming from. The South Africans don't want people there illegally, because this is the main source of drugs and violence.If they absolutely have to come in, can't they just leave the drugs back in their country? I wonder how the country would look with no illegals. A better country or just the same? I really don't know.
Now, on the other hand, we have people trying to get into South Africa, because it's the land of gold for them. As I mentioned earlier, they are trying to get out of their countries, which are in often worse shape. Although, I don't think worse in crime sense. South Africa is ranked in the top 3 most violent countries in Africa, this includes the ones at war!

Just a quick look at what's going on back in SA, hope you enjoy!
Feel free to leave me a post to let me know what you think and keep on eye out for a reply post.
Also, don't forget you can sign up to receive a notification of my latest posts.

0 comments:

Dreaming

If we don't keep considering our dream it will stay a dream or worse, it will become a nightmare.

A Father's Voice